Menu for three kids and two adults (back to normal)

Lemon Sorbet in a Hollowed-out Lemon Photographic Print


Well last fortnight I did get to Coles, but only for buns for lunch, some dog food, a toothbrush for my son to take home, he had just been to the dentist and some donuts for afternoon tea. I usually stop an hour from home and have some more of my coke and something small to eat to keep me going on the drive.

What I did do was go to the place I used to shop at regularly a year ago. I did a small usual shop, with a list. The girls were very good, the two younger ones, and they bought a new pencilcase each at the Mensland. That is why we went there. I saw the fixed roads and the flood damage and the repairs. We are experiencing similar things again, maybe this is the last time? I live on a hill away from the river, so it doesn't affect us directly. I don't expect any bridge washouts this time, and possibly it only affects my hometown and where my brother lives this time. I have lost track of it.

So yesterday the last of my menu was used up. I have since lost a tuna salad recipe and the magazine. In the end I found this recipe for my husband to use (White Bean, Chickpea & Rocket Salad) had the ingredients for the one I was to make originally, and between the two of us, we invented a beautiful salad that I love. Mostly because I love parsley and wild rocket, I'm sure that is why I like it. They both offset each other so you don't get the strong taste of either one of them. Will post it. I must say that I actually didn't have white beans in the pantry but borlotti, but was really glad as it was creamy and it needed it.

I am very afraid this will have to be a budget menu. Money is flying out of here on stationery, hats, swimming at school, camps, I could go on, and on.

Wednesday ~ Traditional Marrow Curry (Indian?) There are a couple of ingredients that I don't have like punjabi bhadi. Please don't google this, another word will replace it that isn't nice. I have found a description of it here on this food blog. Seems like the excuse I needed to visit that Indian grocery I saw on the main road to Lavington. The other things I need is dried fenugreek leaves. I think it is worth it if it proves to be a lovely way to use up marrow. In the meantime maybe will will work something out.

Do you remember I was worried I had bought too much bread awhile ago? It turns out we needed all of it! We have some lemons in a bag we were given from my childhood tree.

I feel I totally freaked about my budget yesterday. Got distressed last night about my daughter wanting a new towel, board shorts thongs (flip flops) etc. for camp next week, worried she would spend too much of my money for a clothes order, which turned out OK. But today after feeling confident found an Art book for VCE I needed extra and so it goes, so yes a fairly budget food shop.

Thursday ~ Taco Salad
Friday ~ Lemon Risotto
Saturday ~ Fragrant Egg Curry
Sunday ~ Mexican Macaroni Cheese
Monday ~ Broccoli & Cauliflower Cannelloni
Tuesday ~ Brown Lentil & Vegetable Soup
Wednesday ~ Pies & Chips
Thursday ~ Sweet Potato & Caramelised Onion Quiche
Friday ~ Pumpkin Pasta Bake
Saturday ~ Tuna & Potato Salad
Sunday ~ Spaghetti Bolognaise
Monday~ Spaghetti Bolognaise

Cherry Tomato, Tuna and Rocket Salad

Ingredients (serves 4)

4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt,
1 tsp sugar and cracked black pepper
400g borlotti, rinsed and drained
400g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
250g cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 red capsicum chopped finely
175g baby rocket, ends trimmed and chopped
2 stalks celery chopped finely
½ cupped finely chopped flat leaved parsley
1 med cucumber chopped medium coarsely
2 smallish tins of tuna, flaked


Place the vinegar, oil, salt and cracked black pepper in a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Set aside. Place the beans, chickpeas, tomato.Add some of the dressing and mix.As you add more ingredients add some more of the dressing and mix.Transfer to serving plates.If possible serve with crusty bread and butter.



Interesting recipes:

Retro marrow recipes (which is a large zucchini) from a UK site here
Chorizo, Pepper & Couscous Stuffed Marrow by Anthony Worrall
Lemon Muffins
Lemon Egg Salad
Shaker Lemon Pie
Berry Lemon Sago
Lemon & Coconut Brownies
Lemon Delicious Icecream
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

Arugula on FoodistaArugula

Comments

Jynene said…
hello! this is making me hungry! so, about finding Pen through blogging, then Liz.. wonderful! your blogroll looks so interesting. i'm anxious to 'surf' there! thanks! jynene
Tracy said…
Hey Linda. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment today. I'm taking your suggestion for pictures under advisement. You're right ~ I'm more likely to try something if I can see the picture. :)
Linda said…
That was Joolz, but thanks for visiting me too, it was nice to see you.

Popular Posts