Friday, July 16, 2010
Red Lentil Recipe
On my menu this week is this recipe. My husband adapted it. It is really lovely.
Fragrant Egg Curry
Ingredients (serves 4)
• 1 Red onion, chopped
• 2 tbs grated fresh ginger
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 tbs light oil
• 2 tbs Ayam curry powder
• 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 10 dried curry leaves*
• 425g can diced tomatoes
• 8 hard-boiled eggs
• 1/2 cup red lentils
• 1 cup peas (frozen are fine)
• 1 tbs chopped fresh coriander
• 2 teas raw sugar
• Cooked rice, to serve
1. Work on curry sauce first, keep going working with the sauce until
the eggs are put in curry, then add rice to boiling water. The eggs
could be started at the beginning of the cooking.
2. Place onion, ginger and garlic in a food processor and process to
form a paste, use a little oil to help with blending process.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the paste and cook over
low heat for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the spices and cook for 1 minute, stirring to release the flavours.
5. Add the tomatoes and 500ml (2 cups) water and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Shell and halve the eggs and add to the pan with the lentils and
peas. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes or until lentils are soft.
Near the end of cooking if mixture is too thick add a small amount of
water (not too much), should be slightly thick paste. Stir in the
7. Serve with cooked rice.